Online WordPress Security Scanner to test vulnerabilities of a WordPress installation. Checks include application security, WordPress plugins, hosting environment and web server.
On this WordPress security testing page there are two options. The first is a passive (safe) check that downloads a few pages from the website and performs analysis on the raw HTML code. The second option is a more aggressive active scan that attempts to enumerate plugins, themes and users with custom WordPress auditing scripts that use the Nmap NSE framework.
- Aggressively discover the WordPress plugins and themes installed on a site. Utilizes a database of over 18000 plugins and 2600 themes during testing.
- This brute force method of discovery will discover plugins and themes that are enabled and those that are not active (but still may be vulnerable).
- Fingerprint the version of the discovered plugins and themes. This version can be compared against latest releases and known security vulnerabilities.
- Enumerate users of a WordPress installation, as a possible precursor to a brute force attack against those users passwords.
About the WordPress Security Scans
The basic security check will review a WordPress installation for common security related mis-configurations. Testing with the basic check option uses regular web requests. The system downloads a handful of pages from the target site, then performs analysis on the resulting html source.
The more aggressive enumeration option attempts to find all plugins / themes that are being used on the WordPress installation and can attempt to enumerate users of the site. These tests will generate HTTP 404 errors in the web server logs of the target site. If you test all plugins, be warned that this will generate more than 18000 log entries and potentially triggered intrusion prevention measures.
Comparing the Options
- WordPress Version Check
- Site Reputation from Google
- Default admin account enabled
- Directory Indexing on plugins
- Sites Externally linked from main page (reputation checks)
- List WordPress Plugins detected through basic HTML analysis (try the Active enumeration option for more aggressive discovery of plugins).
- iframes present
- Hosting Reputation and Geolocation information
The active Nmap NSE script option requires a current membership.
- Uses the Nmap NSE scripts for WordPress auditing
- Identify plugins in
/wp-content/plugins/from a database of over 18000
- Identify plugins in
/wp-content/themes/from a database of over 2600
- Fingerprint the version of the discovered plugins and themes to identify known vulnerabilities
- Enumerate up to 50 user names
- Access to the custom OpenVAS WordPress Scan to test WordPress & Web Server vulnerabilities.
WordPress is the worlds leading content management system. This makes it a popular target for attackers.
Analysis of compromised WordPress installations, shows that exploitation most often occurs due to simple configuration errors or through plugins and themes that have not had security fixes applied.
The checks performed by our WordPress security scan will point out any obvious security failures in the WordPress installation. As well as providing recommended security related configuration improvements to enhance the security of the website against future attacks.