The latest version of Hydra has been released with some bug fixes. Problems noted in my post comparing hydra with ncrack and medusa have been addressed and after testing I can confirm these issues are no longer present.
CHANGELOG for 6.4
* Update SIP module to extract and use external IP addr return from server error to bypass NAT
* Update SIP module to use SASL lib
* Update email modules to check clear mode when TLS mode failed
* Update Oracle Listener module to work with Oracle DB 9.2
* Update LDAP module to support Windows 2008 active directory simple auth
* Fix to the connection adaptation engine which would loose planned attempts
* Fix make script for CentOS, reported by ya0wei
* Print error when a service limits connections and few pairs have to be tested
* Improved Mysql module to only init/close when needed
* Added patch from the FreeBSD maintainers
* Module usage help does not need a target to be specified anymore
* configure script now honors /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ directory
... or your money back no questions asked ...