During February and March 2011 HackerTarget.com LLC performed a detailed analysis of current hosting providers and web technologies in use the worlds most popular websites and the worlds most powerful corporations. Data was collected from the Alexa Top 1 Million Web Sites and the Forbes 1000 Top Company Web Sites. Further details and references are available below the charts.
|Web Hosting Companies|
|Hosting Locations by Country|
|Hosting Location by US State|
A 3 line summary of observations
* Large companies like to pay for the tech; IIS, Akamai, Postini, Microsoft Hosted / Filtered Mail, Messagelabs and Firewalls / VPNS.
* High traffic sites like Nginx, Apache, IBM Web Servers and Texas.
* The majority of sites like free stuff and are hosted on Apache by The Planet and Godaddy; Firewalls are not a priority.
* Some of the data for the charts above will be made available. Security related data will not be published.
* Web Server data is from the HTTP_Server Header (Full details here)
* Web Hosting data was found by resolving the web address, and performing geo-location and whois references on the IP address. DNS was performed from USA, CDN and other distributed systems were not taken into account.
* Mail Hosting data was found by resolving the IP address of the domain’s primary MX record. Geolocation and Whois references were then checked on the IP address.
* Firewall status was discovered by performing a banner grab against port 22 and 3389 using Nmap. Systems with Filtered responses are counted as having a firewall in place, closed ports are found to have no firewall and unknown is when the 2 ports were found to be open or the IP did not respond to an ICMP request. This method will result in some inaccuracies, however was chosen so as to have a minimal impact.